Hyperstimulation and Embryo Transfer

For any who may not have seen Mitch's post on Facebook, the doctor retrieved 51 eggs on Wednesday. 51 eggs?!?!  We were thrilled of course, but also a little nervous as this put me at high risk for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS).  Basically, with OHSS your ovaries freak out, and as the follicles begin refilling with fluid so does your entire abdomen.  In women who have undergone IVF treatment, mild OHSS is actually quite common.  Given my situation, it was almost inevitable that I would experience this to some degree.  Wednesday I really felt pretty good as I rested during the day.  Thursday I went to work and felt a tad bloated, but nothing that seemed too bad.  Hooray!  Only mild OHSS for me!

That evening, after reassuring my sweet and concerned mom that my symptoms were not too bad and she had nothing to worry about, my tummy began to feel as if someone had blown me up like a balloon.  I looked like I was already pregnant, and can't remember ever feeling so full in my life. (Please someone tell me that's not what I'll actually feel like when I'm pregnant!) I had gained 2.5 pounds since the day before, and it hurt!   I eventually went to bed (as if I was going to sleep), and Mitch decided to make a quick run to the store to get some more things he thought might help me.  While he was gone, I became aware that someone had installed a splash pad in my belly.  Bursts of water, sloshing and splashing, and a whole lot of movement were going on inside of me.  I wondered if perhaps, my organs were starting to burst open!  Well, it turns out, as Mitch played my dashing and masculine nurse, my body worked some magic in the night.  I was in the restroom as much as I was in bed it seemed.  By morning, I was feeling about a million times better and had lost 3 pounds overnight after shedding my fluid build up.  Sometimes Heavenly Father takes His time to answer our prayers and sometimes he answers them overnight.  I was so grateful He answered quickly this time!

We received the news the day after the retrieval that 28 eggs had fertilized.  We were so happy to hear about our 28 little embryos working on a little mitosis (or would that me meiosis?).  According to the message the nurse left yesterday (Oct. 5), all our embryos were healthy and progressing well.  Grow babies grow!

Tomorrow (Oct. 7), we check in at 11:15 and will meet with the doctor at 11:30 to discuss the number of embryos, what will be transferred, and what we'll freeze.  More than likely about half of our embryos won't still be kickin' in the morning.  The transfer will follow our little pow wow and then it's lounging on the couch for the next several days for me.  I'm only supposed to get up to use the restroom, so I'll be doing some movie watching, book reading (shout out to Megan for the book and movie donations!), and a little dozing. If anyone wants to stop by for a chat...or to make a trip to the fridge for me....feel free!  The procedure is not invasive and isn't associated with any discomfort, so I should be in good spirits :)  Mitch will be home with me tomorrow and then will pop in and out the following days to check on me and make sure I'm doing well.

So to you dear friends and family, we thank you for your love, support, and prayers.  We've already seen so many miracles through this process and know they are due in large measure to your great faith.  We can't thank you enough.  We'd love continued prayers and good vibes that our sweet little embryo will think my uterus is an awesome place to hang out for the next nine months!


  1. so very happy things are going well! Here's to a wonderful tomorrow! My prayers are with you. Love you Mitch keeping taking good care of her! and thanks for doing it!

    Aunt Sheila

  2. We have been and will continue to keep praying for you guys! You guys are amazing!